Since my story is already two years in the making, I’m going to begin with our current project. (Oh yes, I have lots of stories! Fear not, they will all be told).
For the first time in my DIY life, I am truly wondering what I have gotten us into. This is one segment of a much larger project: painting a concrete floor. Current task: removing paint that did not adhere properly. Suggested by several painters was the use of a product called: Citristrip. I assume the theory behind this recommendation is since it’s a bio-friendly product, it’s chemical residue should be minimal, increasing adherence potential for future attempts of painting. We’ll see.
Applied gel as directed (albeit vague directions at best) and let set for time suggested. Jeff and I literally went through tool evolution during this process. Plastic scraper: ha! That was a joke. Scrub brush: not much better. Long handled scraper with constant application of foot pressure: getting warmer. It at least created small shavings off the top surface. Stainless steel brush: definitely helped. Power tool: best $4 spent, and use of a water break taken. (The directions on the back of Citristrip suggest using a toothbrush on the stubborn areas, which leads me to wonder what the manufacturers use to brush their teeth with…)
In effort to keep family time a priority, seven hours in we quit (for now) and get ready for Kansas City’s annual Celebration at the Station.
Considering the fact that we are removing paint that could literally be pealed off the floor with your fingers, I can’t quite seem to wrap my brain around the fact that it is now seemingly impossible to get off the floor. After returning home, and before heading off to bed, I decided to research Citristrip reviews. I did find a review that would have been helpful to read BEFORE we did this, essentially stating that this product was not good for masonry. Awesome…